This page contains the basic theory to get from white belt to black belt. It is by no means a complete list of theory and students are always encouraged to seek advise from other sources.
A basic theory sheet handed out to all new students can be found here.
In Taekwon-Do, there are 10 different Colour Belt grades and 9 different Black Belt degrees:
|Colour Belt Grades|
|10th Kup||White Belt|
|9th Kup||White Belt / Yellow Tag|
|8th Kup||Yellow Belt|
|7th Kup||Yellow Belt / Green Tag|
|6th Kup||Green Belt|
|5th Kup||Green Belt / Blue Tag|
|4th Kup||Blue Belt|
|3rd Kup||Blue Belt / Red Tag|
|2nd Kup||Red Belt|
|1st Kup||Red Belt / Black Tag|
|Black Belt Grades|
|1st to 3rd Degree|| Novice / Assistant Instructor
|4th to 6th Degree|| Expert / International Instructor
|7th and 8th Degree|| Master
|9th Degree|| Grandmaster
Students should keep in mind the following nine secrets:
- To study the Theory of Power thoroughly.
- To understand the purpose and method of each movement clearly.
- To bring the movements of eyes, hands, feet and breath into a single coordinated action.
- To choose the appropriate attacking tool for each vital spot.
- To become familiar with the correct angle and distance for attack and defense.
- Keep both arms and legs bent slightly while the movement is in motion.
- All movements must begin with a backwards motion with very few exceptions. However, once a movement is in motion it should not be stopped before reaching the target.
- To create a sine wave during the movement by utilizing the knee spring properly.
- To exhale briefly at the moment of each blow except a connecting motion. (Breath Control)